It is most likely that you’ve experienced sinus pain and headache sometime in your life. Sinuses are the hollow pockets that surround the nose and produce mucus. Inflamed sinus cavities insert pressure on the sinus causing pain, headache, and congestion. The feeling of pain is due to the formation of thick mucus in the nasal cavity which results in a headache especially on the forehead. Health problems such as allergies and nasal problems can cause inflammation of the sinus cavities resulting in the pain. Do you know that you can reduce this inflammation naturally without taking antibiotic tablets from the pharmacist?
Here are some of the best natural remedies for sinus and headache that you can practise at home.
1. Ginger root :It is obvious that your nose blocks when you experience sinus inflammation. Applying a mixture of boiled ginger with water on your forehead will get rid of a sinus headache. You can as well prepare ginger tea and inhale the vapor that comes from it. The warm vapor helps in easing out the cavities and lightens the thick mucus.
2. Cinnamon solution: Mix the cinnamon paste with water and apply it directly on your forehead. You get instant relief from a sinus headache. The forehead contains blocked sinus cavities as a result of the inflammation of the nose, head, cheeks and the area behind the eyes. When you apply the cinnamon solution, the sinuses are relieved, hence reduces the pain due to the anti-inflammatory property it contains. Cinnamon is also a natural antibacterial that eases congestion, which is the property that helps in easing the blocked cavities.
3. Turmeric: Turmeric is a natural antibiotic that kills the micro-organisms that cause sinus inflammation. It contains an ingredient called curcumin that helps in killing these microbes. It works best when in powder form. Hence, grind turmeric and inhale or use a neti pot. It cleans the nose and brings a fresh feeling while improving breath and reducing the pain gradually.
4. Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil contains cineole which acts as a good anti-inflammatory. It reduces the inflammation in your nose and reduces the production of mucus from your sinus cavities. Whenever you experience congestion and sinus pain, take hot water and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Put it in a bowl and inhale for several minutes until you feel relieved from the congestion. You can repeat this several times in a day for the congestion to completely disappear. You can as well mix it with coconut oil and rub it against your nose or cheek with a piece of cloth. The oil’s anti-inflammatory property will relieve your nose from inflammation and congestion.
5. Basil: Basil contains cineole, eugenol, and campehe which relieve your nose from congestion and inflammation from the sinuses. It fights against bacteria due to its antiviral property. This property enables it to fight the fungal that causes the infection; which is a better way to fight the infection. When you experience sinus pain and headache, add a few drops of basil to hot water and inhale the solution. Continuous inhaling will ultimately relieve you from the pain, congestion and headache.
6. Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil is natural antibacterial, antiviral, anesthetic and anti-inflammatory oil. These properties help you during the time when you experience nose congestion and sinus pain. Mixing the oil with hot water and inhaling the solution is an effective way to ease your nose from congestion. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of the oil to almond oil and rub it on your nose, forehead or cheeks. Repeating this will result in non-congestion and relief from pain and headache.
7. Willow Bark: Willow bark actually reduces a sinus headache faster. A powder of willow bark mixed with warm water and applied on the forehead and nose cavities works amazingly. Also, inhaling willow bark tea is effective. Just make sure you do this for several days until you feel a headache, pain, and congestion is completely gone.
8. Rosemary: Boil dried rosemary leaves with hot water and inhale the steam. Or, you can add rosemary oil to olive oil and gently apply the mixture on your forehead. Rosemary helps in relieving the headache and inflammation from your sinus cavities. Repeating this every day eventually relieves you from the nose congestion and headache. In conclusion, sinus and headache can be treated by using the above natural herbs and oils appropriately.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix one table spoon of apple cider to half cup of water and gulp it down 3 times a day. I usually add in a spoon of raw honey as well. This combination helps reduce inflammation and is antibacterial. However, on other days I do not recommend taking apple cider vinegar on a daily basis as it is highly acidic and can weaken the teeth. For a milder version one whole lemon with raw honey 3 times a day works like magic as well.
Next time if you have sinus and headache issue, try the above and you may be surprised that you may not depend on drugs anymore.